Applied science Level 3 Diploma (double)
studied at ABS and WES
WATCH THE VIDEO TO FIND OUT ABOUT APPLIED SCIENCE
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED TO START THE COURSE
To find out what qualifications are needed for each pathway/entry route click here.
- 4 or above in maths
- Science L2 Diploma distinction, or merit with recommendation
YEAR 12 COURSE SPECIFICATION
Learners will undertake and complete the 6 mandatory units over years 1 and 2.
- Principles and Application of Science 1
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Laboratory Techniques and application
- Principles and Application of Science 2
- Investigation Project
YEAR 13 COURSE SPECIFICATION
Learners choose two optional units in year 2 (Year 13)
Optional unit choices:
Physiology of human body systems
- Human regulation and reproduction
- Biological molecules and metabolic pathways
- Genetics and genetic engineering
- Diseases and infections
- Applications of inorganic chemistry
- Applications of organic chemistry
- Electrical circuits and their application
- Astronomy and space science
LEARNING AND SKILLS
Applied science is a new course to meet the needs of employers and higher educators. The course uses a well-balanced combination of assessment styles, providing students with the confidence to apply their knowledge to succeed in the workplace, and have the study skills to continue learning on higher education courses and throughout their career.
EXAMINATION AND ASSESSMENT
EXAM BOARD: EDEXCEL
Assignments: set and marked by teachers; verified by Edexcel.
Tasks: provide students with work-based challenges in timed, realistic work conditions.
Written exams: students create written answers to practical questions in exam conditions.
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
Principles and applications of science I and II
Practical scientific procedures and techniques
Science investigation skills
Students can go on to higher and further education and training. They may wish to apply for apprenticeships in related healthcare or technical fields. The Russell group of universities accept BTEC in Applied science for degrees in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Science, Neuroscience.
“This course at LaSWAP is fantastic, and has enabled me to become a better person”.